About Me

My photo
I don't write for a living, but I live to write. I have over 600K words penned but not a dang thing published. Im a pescatarian who also happens to love yoga. (Cliche, yes Im aware) I read as much as I write sooooo- books don't last long with me. I talk to myself- like alot- , I love camping, I want to move to Tenn, and the number one person in my life JC. So there ya have it. Come hang out with me.... ;)

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Excerpt "Zephra"

** In this short excerpt Zephra, my half human half android, has slipped through the boards of the back porch outside of the carriage house she is temporarily sharing with Hyact, her temporary body guard.  Does Zephra need a body guard? No. But she is about to be sent on a very secret, high security mission and the "Secretary of Defense" wants to make sure she is kept out of trouble until she is needed... Unable to free herself from the silly predicament, Hyact comes to the rescue only to find the clumsy oversight is graver than they both thought.**
--------- The year is 2133 and America has taken a drastic turn. Only the elite, the modified and the over trained survive as mercenaries. But even in an Utopian world not everything is as it seems. And Zephra, a twenty-one year old veteran is about to find out that killing in the name of your country is still killing. And when the hunters become the hunted only the fiercest survive-----------

*Enjoy!

“Zephra, why didn’t you just pull yourself up? You’re strong enough.”
“I was stuck,” I gently roll onto my side so I can briefly lift my shirt and show where one of the boards had gouged into my ribs. “And I panicked.”
“Zephra, jeese, let me see that.”
I lift my shirt again and pain as real and raw as I have ever felt ripples through me and I clinch my teeth. Hyact looks at me.
“Take your shirt off.” He says as he scrambles to his knees.
“I’m sorry what?”
“The board that had you pinned, pinned you because it was lodged in your side. Panicked or not if you had tried to lift yourself out, you would have punctured a lung. I don’t know how, when I pulled you out, the movement didn’t rupture something. But Zephra, if I don’t tend to this, it will heal, but I promise you, you will have a scar.”
I sit up, ignoring the pain and I put my hands over my head. “Off.”
As Hyact shimmies my shirt over my head I feel a stabbing pain and it grows by the minute.
“It shouldn’t hurt this much.” I lay back as gently as I can, but the room seems to tilt a little with the effort.
Hyact looks at me. “Are you serious?”
“What?”
“I don’t know how many times I have to say this, but you had a floor board embedded in your ribs. A few are probably cracked, but worst of all you have a hole in the side of your body that still has not started healing.”
“Ok, yeah I get it now.”
“Your blood is everywhere.” I try to ignore that Hyact’s fingers are exploring the flesh around my ribs, ribs- may I remind you- are right underneath your chest. Yup, ok so you get it now, good.
“It’s not obstructing my sight though. Never thought I’d be happy to see someone bleed clear before. But there is still so much of it, I can’t get the hole to close up.”
“What can I do to help?”
Hyact looks at me and shakes his head. “Give me your hands.” I hold my hands out and he twists one to hold my back and the other he places on my side. My finger tips touch something hard and slippery.
“Hyact what is that?”
“Your ribs.”
“Oh my God.”
“Yeah now you get it. Ok, Zephra it may hurt but I need you to push the two sides you are holding towards each other. Can you do that?”
I nod. He nods and I push. The pain...oh I can’t describe it. I grind my teeth to keep me from passing out. But I see plenty of stars. I don’t let up. The pain roars in my ears and I can’t hear anything else. Everything is tunnel-vision effort and I focus on the only thing I can see clearly, the lines in the wood floor.
I feel like the pain goes on forever. I try breathing through my nose and I can faintly feel my body rocking as Hyact works on the wound. I keep breathing and I know if something doesn’t give soon I will pass out and look like a fool. The slow rocking stops and I feel a wave of warmth stream through my body. I feel flush, like I am floating in a pool of hot water.
Hyact comes into my very limited line of vision. He puts his hand on my cheek and I smell blood. Then he holds the hand out to me and I grab it. Sound comes rushing back, but is accompanied by a ringing. I gasp but the pain immediately starts to ebb.
“Oh it doesn’t hurt any more.” I say airily.
“I gave you enough morphine to drown a horse. You probably won’t feel anything for a few hours.  Seriously Bonnie, I don’t know how you didn’t pass out from that. A greater man would have- shit I probably would have.”

No comments:

Post a Comment