About Me

My photo
I don't write for a living, but I live to write. I have over 600K words penned but not a dang thing published. Im a pescatarian who also happens to love yoga. (Cliche, yes Im aware) I read as much as I write sooooo- books don't last long with me. I talk to myself- like alot- , I love camping, I want to move to Tenn, and the number one person in my life JC. So there ya have it. Come hang out with me.... ;)

Thursday, March 21, 2013

The question

One question I always find myself asking is... Am I doing this right?
*Am I keeping the blog the way I am supposed to?
*Am I analyzing this account from the right perspective? (work)
*Am I handling this argument the proper way?
*Am I writing the story that is in my head the right way?

I still haven't come by an answer for the few of many questions I listed above but I would like to address the last. When I follow the blogs of other writers, some well known others just blooming, the first thing I do is find a post about their writing style. (if they have a post)

The same question is asked of many authors, "How do write your stories?" Any many authors are generous with their answers. But one common answer I find is most authors set out a guideline before they put fingertips to keyboard (or if you're archaic- pen to paper). They write out their ideas and formulate a plot and research and research some more and then some draw out an outline.

I tried this once. Who am I kidding, I tried this a lot. But I always find that I rarely stick to my outline. I affectionately refer to my writing style as schizophrenic. I come up with an idea and typically I will write a paragraph or two about how I want the story to progress. Sometimes my paragraphs turn into multiple paragraphs; an army of mini-stories that get woven together like linen to make an outfit. Sometimes it works for me. Sometimes it doesn't. Most often I find myself re-reading what I have penned and find out that there are inconsistencies or contradictions. And the rework is tedious. But I always find that I am still as in love with my characters as the day i birthed them.

So where am i going with all of this? A writing style is just that- it is YOUR style. There is NO right or wrong way to go about it. Depending on how your write you may create more work for yourself later but if that is how you do it, then do it- own it. Sometimes letting your characters tell their own story and then tweaking it later is the only option.

So, write on friends. May you find your style and may your style be the lifeblood of your stories.

#HappyWrighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment